Monday 17 December 2012

Instagram & Colour Solarisation


For some more digital experiments, I used some of the imagery that I had already taken of different buildings and other objects, to create this four pictures. 

This photo is apart of Trafalgar Square fountains, with the traffic in the background. I wanted to take a photo of this because it could capture all of the busy traffic of London. The lights of the buildings, cars and lamppost all add to the image. I wanted to make this experiment a bit different, so I followed the same steps in making a digital solarisation, but instead of changing the image into black and white. I kept the image its original colour and continued to follow the steps. This was the final outcome of the picture. I like the use of the pink/yellow/blue all in one photo because they really compliment each other. The yellow highlights the lights of the cars and buildings, the pink shows the mid-tones of the picture and final the blue indicates the shadows. I really love this experiment because of the amount of detail that you can still see even with the different colours.  

Another colour solarisation experiment I chose to do was this image of a big wheel in Hyde Park's Winter WonderLand. The original photograph was a little bit dark and you couldn't really see the people walking in front. So I thought I would try and to make the image look more interesting. I again followed the same steps as before to make the solarisation image. I wanted to make this as vibrant as possible so instead of only using two or three colours, I used a range of neon colours to create a better effect. I really like the colours because it looks a bit retro and rave like, because of the neon. I think this adds a lot more emphasis to the photograph and makes it look bait more eye-catching. 


The next experiment that I chose to do was making an Instagram effect. Even though my theme isn't Nature, I wanted to try and make this image of a tree more inspiring and eye-catching. Instagram effect is an app on the iPhone what many people use to get the best quality photos. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone, so I decided to make an Instagram picture on Adobe Photoshop. The steps I followed on photoshop was to just to adjust the brightness and contrast, then making a layer of a light brown/cream to lay it over the original photo. After taking the opacity of the colour layer down, I played around with the settings of the amount of reds/blues/greens the image has. By adjusting that levels slightly on the colour balance, this was the final outcome. I do think that by adding the photoshopped instagram effect has made the picture of the simple tree more interesting and more detailed to look at.   

For the final experiment, I used the photoshop instagram effect on this photograph of the hotel Claridges in Mayfair, London. I followed the same instructions that I did for the Instagram tree image, but this time made this picture slightly lighter. In my opinion I really love this photograph and the effect because it really stands out in my eyes and works really well with the colour of the building and the christmas trees and decorations as well. I also love the fact that the whole image is of all the hotel and nothing else can really draw you away from it. Even though there are people walking past the building and the christmas decorations are very dominate, you still are drawn into the hotel more than anything else in this photograph.    

No comments:

Post a Comment