Monday 8 April 2013

Exam Review

The starting points that I started with were Movement and Light and The 5 Senses, for the exam theme of INDISE, OUTSIDE & INBETWEEN. I chose movement and light first of all because you can experience this particular theme in everything you do. To start of with is first point I took some digital photographs of different lighting areas, e.g. lamps. I also took some images of shadows linking both movement and light together in one image. After that topic, I chose the 5 senses because I believe you can create alot of  work with this. I firstly took a picture of all of my 5 senses and created a collage in the style of Linder Sterling. After taking digital images and researching into the two chosen topic, I took a black and white film of three different styles that related to the two starting points: OCD, Reflection and Food.   


For the two starting points and the experiments and film that I took, my ideas have slightly changed. Even though I did like the two starting points of Movement & Light and The Five Senses, I feel that if I want to push myself to get the higher marks I've to think alittle more creatively.    

 
I have created alot of experiments digitally and in the darkroom.  Here is the digital that I feel that has shown my best skills. 

This particular photos is from the Movement and Light theme because it express that some people can only see certain colours meaning they have colour blindness. I thought I would make the original photo black and white, then turn the roses back to red again. This means that the person looking at image is colour blind to green.
The black and white technique that I feel is the best is this double exposure image. I feel that the pictures that I used, two ducks on a lake and a scene in a park work really well together. I think this because of the busyness of the park in contrast to clear picture of the ducks. I really like this technique because it shows my ability to make more contrasting images and maybe more complicated.


I feel that I have been more successful in making darkroom techniques and experiments, because It is like trial and error and I like to think that in the darkroom you can take a bit of a risk and sometimes it works out for the best. So I think that most of my darkroom work is better in compression with my digital work. I would like to think that I can create more work in the darkroom better than I have ever done to hopefully get the best possible marks and more technical experiments.  

I defiantly think I would like to develop my selective masking photos, because I feel they are the most successful darkroom prints that I have created for the exam project. Also I believe they will work well with my final film idea. Also I like my test strips that I have done for every print just to test out the right timing and light. Even though they are just ripped pieces of photo paper with only a section of the negative on they really abstract and quirky that could work with something in my final piece.

I think that one artist/photographer that has really inspired me for most of this project or INSIDE, OUTSIDE and INBETWEEN has been Linder Sterling's work, from her quirky collages to her ripped photos. Here to the right is an example of her ripped pieces of work and the a person interpretation of her work. Even though some of the techniques that I have created haven't really related to her work as much, I feel that her collage work is really inspiring. Also the ripped technique is something that I would really like to try and recreate and development from her work.

My exam plan for the next two week before my exam is to have a final idea in mind that will hopefully get me the best possible marks I can. I also want to do some more digital photographs so that I can have a range of black and white and digital pictures. I want to also get my sketchbook filled with lots of different ideas of possible ways I could present my final outcome, something completely unusual that nobody has done before.  

No comments:

Post a Comment