Wednesday 20 March 2013

Darkroom Experiments

For all of these experiments, I have used photographs that I took during the photography trip, around Green Park and Trafalgar Square.  

Double Exposure
Here are my double exposure prints that I created in the darkroom. The top one is of a Green Park, with the lake and people walking past it and admiring the scenery. As you begin to look closer I have made a double exposure with a pair of ducks that I placed on top of the park image. I felt this picture would work the most because there is some connection within both of this pictures, by having the ducks almost floating above what they would normally be swimming on top of. I also like the contrast between both pictures, because it brings out a lot of texture. 

For the second sandwich negative print, I used a shot of lots of people walking through the park, oblivious to me taking the picture. The second photo that I used was of inside of a bin that I took in the park. I wanted to make this exposure quite complicated to figure out as both images are busy. I like the contrast between both pictures because you can still see the what is going on in the two pictures. It does look a little bit busy but I think it works really well.     





Handmade Negatives
The next experiment that I accomplished, was to make a handmade negative out of lots of different objects. How I created the negative was by using two pieces of acetate then I placed things onto one of the pieces of acetate sheets; I used Vaseline, salt and washing up liquid. I then placed the second sheet on top so the mixture would not ruin my negative, then I placed the handmade negative, ontop of the photo, with in the negative carrier. 

For this top image is of Nelsons Column in Trafalgar Square, I took this from a difficult angle as I was trying to get most of the monument in shot. I feel that the handmade negative works really well with this particular image because of the texture the washing-up liquid and the salt has given the picture.

Another image that I thought that could work quite well with the handmade negative is this image of the tube sign. Even though the sky in the photo is quite light, you can still see the effect that the salt has given it. You can definitely see the definition of the salt grains in the image, which grabs your attention more as you look at even more closer. And automatically 
makes the image more textured. 

The final photograph is of a lamppost by HorseGuards Parade. I thought this image would work really well with the texture of the salt and vaseline together on the acetate, within the negative carrier. The image almost looks like it has been snowing and I have captured the shot just as it has just begun to snow.     






Under-Processing

For another experiment that I created in the dark room was this example of under processing a print. This means that I developed the photo normally, then where as you would normally put the print into the stop bath once it has been developed properly. I used a brush to apply the stop mixture to the image, but only in certain areas of. As you can see the the sky looks purple this is due to the lack of stopping the photograph from developing even further. After applying the stop to the print, I then put the image in the the fix for about five seconds, a lot shorter than I normally would, then washed the print. As you can see inbetween the purple sky in the middle is slightly brownish, this is coursed by not fixing the print for a long amount of time. All in all I really like this effect because it almost gives the image a colour boost and more mysterious feel, as the sky is starting to turn different shades of colours.   


No comments:

Post a Comment