Sunday 14 October 2012

Dodging and Burning

 For some more experiments and help us gain a new skill, we   had to dodge and burn some photographs. Dodging means   lightening a small area in the picture where it once was dark.   Burning means darkening a small area in the picture where it   once was really light. 


<These are the photos I decided to dodge, making them lighter. The way I dodge these images was using a piece of black paper on a piece of wire. While the photo was being developed, I moved the black piece of paper over the particular area of interest to make it lighter.The original image is at the bottom, the reason why I chose this photograph was because I wanted to make the leaves of the bushes a little bit lighter giving them a little more definition. I made two adjustments to each photo one lighter than the other to get the gradually development through each of the three pictures. I really like the effect of lightening the image because of the detail of the photograph it can display.  


For the burning process I used this image of a road with houses on the other side. The reason why I wanted to use this photograph was because I felt that the original image was a little too light. So the way I made the image darker was to cover a part of the rest of the image that i didn't want to be darkened with a piece of card. This was the outcome, I do like this effect but you can't really see the houses in the background. So if i was able to repeat this process again i would would only burn a little part of the image instead of a huge chunk of it.>   

No comments:

Post a Comment